Last night when we got home from Hawaii (Trip Report to follow soon) I was greeted by this big wooden cuckoo clock. Turns out is is part of a promotion by Travel Portland the official tourist marketing wing of the City of Portland. Travel Portland hired a wood carver to build this sucker and then sent it to Vancouver BC and Seattle to promote Portland tourism. The clock will be sitting in the atrium at PDX just past security for gates A,B, and C. In addition to the clock Travel Portland is also running a promotion on their website for winter travel, this is what the press release says.
Winter Deal Wheel Offers Visitors Free Stuff
As if tax-free shopping weren’t enough, the Portland Is Happening Now Deal Wheel highlights a dozen of the nearly 90 discounts and deals around Portland that will be available to winter travelers, including free dining, shopping and beer-related items. Visitors who book a Portland hotel stay for travel through March 31, 2015, on TravelPortland.com will be given access to a downloadable coupon pack that features more than 85 coupons valued at more than $1,000.
The items travelers can redeem without a purchase (deals are good through March 31, 2015) include:
- Bunk: One FREE sandwich at all Bunk Sandwich or Bunk Bar locations
- Columbia Sportswear: One FREE Portland Is Happening Now shopping tote by Portland Garment Factory at the downtown or airport locations
- Hopworks Urban Brewery: One FREE ceramic mini-growler from Portland Growler Co. (beer not included) at the N. Williams or S.E. Powell locations
Examples of the other 85+ coupons (deals are good through Dec. 31, 2015) include:
- Burgerville: FREE regular size milkshake or smoothie with purchase of equal or greater value
- Danner: 20% off a pair of USA-made boots
- Salt and Straw Ice Cream: One FREE single (4 oz.) scoop of ice cream with purchase of one of equal or greater value
While this sounds good I don’t think it is that great of a deal. For starters, the coupon book they are referring to is the Chinook Book which can be purchased online. No need to overpay for a hotel to get the book. Second, if you are traveling to Portland this winter using my Priceline method for hotels is an absolute must. Taking advantage of low demand is THE best way to score cheap deals on hotels.
While I don’t think the promotion is that great, at least they built a really cool clock.by